Laffan Codfish with cream
1kg of potato
100g of island cheese
80g of butter
60g of flour
8 cloves of garlic
4 bay leaves
1 small lemon
500ml of cream
500ml of milk
salt and black pepper q.s.
olive oil q.s.
Shall we prepare a traditional recipe for a simple but flavourful meal with Chef Laffan? Laffan Codfish with cream, See full recipe.
1. Place the codfish loins in a saucepan; add the sliced garlic, milk, cream and 3 bay leaves; cook the codfish at medium heat for 7 minutes; flake and reserve the cooking broth.
2. Cut the onion into julienne strips; in a frying pan place a drizzle of olive oil and 1 bay leaf and sauté the onion until caramelised. Set aside.
3. Peel the potato and cut into cubes; fry until golden brown and set aside.
4. Place the butter and flour in a pan; blend until smooth; add 1lt of the codfish cooking broth and stir constantly until it starts to boil; remove from the heat and season with salt, black pepper, nutmeg, zest and juice of 1 lemon.
5. Place some of the béchamel on the bottom of an oven tray; make a layer with half the potatoes; spread the onion mixture over the potatoes; add the flaked cod; add the remaining potatoes; cover with the remaining béchamel; sprinkle the grated Queijo da Ilha (Madeiran cheese) and bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 180ºC or until golden brown.